International Women's Day 2023
When is International Women’s Day?
What is International Women’s Day?
International Women’s Day is an event that celebrates amazing things achieved by women. It is also a day in which we learn about equality and think about how we can all live in a way that respects the rights of all people, challenging inequality, stereotypes and bias.
The theme for International Women’s Day 2023 is #EmbraceEquity.
What does #EmbraceEquity mean?
Equity means being fair, unbiased and equal. To embrace is to accept something willingly. It is also another word for hugging. Therefore the theme, #EmbraceEquity is all about accepting fairness and equality for International Women's Day and beyond.
Each one of us has the power to make a difference by actively supporting and embracing equity within our own groups, clubs, schools and within our societies. Everyone, everywhere, can play their part.
We can do this by:
- challenging gender stereotypes and bias;
- calling out unacceptable actions or behaviour;
- including everybody.
Embracing equity means we are also embracing diversity and inclusion. By embracing all of these things, it means that we will be promoting equality. We can all embrace equity - joint action can make a big difference.
International Women’s Day celebrates amazing feats achieved by women. Throughout history, women have achieved remarkable things.
The aim of International Women’s Day is for everyone to be encouraged to pursue their dreams and ambitions free from bias and stereotypes and to encourage us all to challenge inequality through our thoughts, words and actions.
International Women’s Day was first celebrated over 100 years ago in 1910. The aim was to have equality for men and women across the world.
However, important rights, such as health and education, are still not realised for some women.
Meet Malala Yousafzai
Malala was only a little girl when she was hurt very badly because some
people thought that girls should not go to school.
Malala disagreed and spoke out for the right of girls to be educated.
Now she helps girls all over the world to go to school.
What Can You Do to Support International Women’s Day?
- Challenge yourself to try something new. Whether you’re a boy or a girl, have a go at something you’ve never done before.
- Think about a job you would like when you’re older. Prepare an imaginary CV showing the skills you need to achieve your dreams.
- Research some more famous figures who have done extraordinary or pioneering things.
Embracing Equity- How can you embrace equity?
- Embrace equity in all its forms. Don't just say it but think it, follow through with it, value it and truly embrace it.
- Embrace equity today and every day.
- Encourage your friends, family, schoolmates and community to embrace equity too.
- Collectively, we can make positive changes and help to shape a more equal world.